Sunday, April 30, 2006

It's Good to be the King

Just finished the first draft of what turned out to be a complete reimagining and rewrite of POOL BOY -- I mean, UP & COMING -- that is, IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING.

I feel great. It needs work, I know. But there are some great moments in there. Some really funny stuff. Some bits I never would've thought I could or would come up with, but there they are.

And get this: About four days ago, I was sort of stuck on page 52. And tonight, I finished at the very bottom of page 99. Seriously -- I didn't type END because it would've been the only word on page 100.

I worked my ass off this week -- Wednesday I wrote 10 pages, then 10 pages again Thursday, then only 4 last night and... 17 TODAY.

Yes, you read right. Not a typo. I wrote 17 pages today. And I'm not even fried. And they don't suck. There is a Zone and I was in it. Hope I find it again one day.

Actually, I have my husband to thank for my recent productivity -- he surprised me a week ago with a laptop as an early anniversary gift (XOXO!).

Since he gave it to me, I've only written on it and not on the PC at all. Even took it to a coffee shop today and knocked out some pages there. (Way fun to sit in a coffee shop in my little nowhere town, 3,000 miles from Hollywood, writing not a script but a movie and to get a call on my cell from my producer, a guy whose previous movies most of the people around me in the coffee shop have surely seen...)

Oh-- also, the deadline for a locked first draft has been extended from May 1st to May 7th (good thing, too). The producer just sent me notes on the first 50 pages and they're very doable. I expect to have the first 50 lock-ready in a couple days.

Also, the reason they're pushing for a locked script by a certain date is apparently the investors are planning to take it to the Cannes Festival to sell distribution. (I know -- crazy, huh? I had no idea they did that without a finished film. Note to self: learn more about the business side of the business.)

Let's see, what else...? Producer has been talking to a director he's worked with before, a guy who's great with comedy and has done a bunch of films in this genre. Hope he comes on board.

And I guess that's that, for now...

11 Comments:

Blogger Adam Renfro said...

not

to

COOL!!!

Keep us posted on every detail M.O.!!

4:03 AM  
Blogger DDog said...

Late arriver here, but, hey, this is great news! Congrats!! Keep the updates coming.

Question, and this comes from a fellow out-of-L.A.er here: Is most of the correspondence between you and the producer(s) strictly over the phone, via e-mail, or are face-to-face meetings required?

6:14 AM  
Blogger Julie O'Hora said...

Thanks, guys!

ddog-- I haven't met any of the people in person yet. It's all been done over the phone, email, IM, text messages, smoke signals and E.S.P.

That said, I got the option through my manager and I got the manager via a referral and I got the referral via another referral.

The key is to find people who believe in you and your work enough to stick their professional necks out for you, risking their hard-won reputations to tell someone else they've got to read your stuff.

Don't know anybody? Hit the Austin Film Festival. Make friends, have fun, learn and network -- I can't recommend it highly enough!

9:27 AM  
Blogger suzbays said...

This is very cool, Julie. I'm excited for you.

Suz

12:24 PM  
Blogger aggiebrett said...

So any more idea of when the ultimate face-to-face with Mr Big ("W") is supposed to happen? That should be a trip worth blogging about... assuming you actually return intact.

Congrats on the strong final sprint to the finish line. Now rest up for half a day and then get back in there.

;-)

.
.
.
B

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely fan-fing-tastic. So very proud of you. So glad to see things coming together.

ted

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julie,

I am still a little in shock and awe that anyone not in LA gets read, optioned and produced. But I think your reply to ddog is the bottom line. You do need people to believe in you and who will "stick their professional necks" out for you or else it is mightly hard.

Of course getting read is one thing. Getting signed is another. You were good enough to back it up. You made it happen.

Congrats again.

I am enjoying hearing about all this. I think U&C is just the beginning because EROTIC MUSINGS is a story that has big screen potetnial also.

Cecil

9:15 AM  
Blogger Ron Oda said...

wow... 17 pages... congrats...

i think i've done 17 in about 5 months... duh

12:02 AM  
Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

Hey Julie, glad to hear it's going well. I banged out 14 pages earlier in the week for my Pilot, they just flew by, so I know what you're talking about, it's nice to be in the zone.

(I'm in Nj, and I haven't met the people who've optioned Cricket Hill either).

Anyhoo, congrats to you, it sounds awesome!!!!! I'll be checking in on you for updates!

1:57 AM  
Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

By the way, I just now noticed you weren't linked from my blog, and now you are!

11:41 PM  
Blogger Scott the Reader said...

I have written about 500 coverages for this one company, and I have never, ever met anyone who works there (they messenger everything). And the office is only about 15 miles away.

It's a strange business.

Anyhow, congrats :-)

2:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home