Monday, April 10, 2006

Up & Coming

(Pant! Pant!)

Quickie update:

I’ve now spent many hours on the phone with the producer who optioned POOL BOY, going over the story and how to best execute the premise. We agreed it will need a fairly extensive rewrite to make it as funny as it has the potential to be and for maximum appeal to the 18-25 male demographic (I’ve been channeling my inner Cro-Magnon teenage boy – he’s fun) and the title has been changed to UP & COMING, to better reflect the new story (if you guessed “Not Rated G,” you win the Smarty-Pants Award).

I jammed and got the new first act written last week. Everybody’s pretty happy with it, with some minor notes to be incorporated later.

Good news came over the weekend: Producer met with some investors and our budget has nearly doubled. Muy bueno since a percentage of said budget pays out to yours truly if this thing really happens.

So, now I’m jumping through my ass to get a lock-ready draft finished by May 1st. The current plan is to be in pre-production in 90 days and begin shooting in September.

(Yes, that was a fun sentence to type.)

I’m a “believe it when I see it” person, but now I’m in the unique position of being the only definite in the equation: this movie will definitely NOT happen if I don’t get this script written. It might not happen if I do, but it definitely won’t happen if I don’t.

Interesting square on the board on which to find myself...

10 Comments:

Blogger aggiebrett said...

March or die, soldier. March or die.

Sounds like you're riding a whirlwind over there. Hold on tight and get what rest you can.

I'll see you on the other side... somewhere, sometime, somehow.
.
.
.
B

5:18 PM  
Blogger suzbays said...

Very cool, Julie. I'm pulling for you to crank it out.

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just remember, you don't score, until you score.

This is exciting stuff, babe. Let me know if you need anything. Coffee, long distance cheering.

Go get 'em.

ted

11:46 AM  
Blogger Systemaddict said...

Perhaps a nice, young virile, canadian steed for an assistant?

Let me know

James

PS...congrats

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have made it as far as I am concerned even if PB doesn't get funded.....

You have been optioned, that puts you in the top 1% of writers right there....

And you have a manager.....thats making it in my book. I'll stay tuned for further developments.

Cecil

6:50 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

I'm not sure if I ever FULLY excised the teenaged boy in me, if you need some good sex jokes, or whatnot! ;-)

1:03 AM  
Blogger MaryAn Batchellor said...

Like the new title. Whew. Is it just me or is it really hot in here?

10:49 PM  
Blogger Script Demon said...

Love the concept for your show. Sounds like it will stimulate the old libido. Hope we get to see it on the airwaves (Do people still use that term or is it "digital pipeline" now?)

8:54 AM  
Blogger Grubber said...

You are no longer William Hung, you are proving yourself. :)
cheers
Dave

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Julie!

The word on the street is you've got some things going on. I'm thrilled to hear it and just wanted to say congratulations. I loved that Pool Boy project from the beginning. I'll be sending out postive development vibes.

All the best!
Mike

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home