Thursday, February 09, 2006

I am William Hung.

I’ve got young kids and no TiVo, so I don’t watch much television. There are some shows I watch if the kids go to bed on time -- a couple sitcoms, a couple dramas… andacouplerealityshows.

Heresy, I know, for a writer to watch reality television. I expect I’ll be publicly stoned for admitting it -- and trust me, I’ve self-flagellated.

What’s the attraction, then?

The first reality show that ever hooked me was Joe Millionaire. I’m embarrassed to disclose, I didn’t miss a minute of Evan Marriott’s escapades.

Then there’s American Idol. I could probably watch an entire season of auditions in a single sitting. (And it’s not because I enjoy the music. That much I know.)

And to, um… round out my list, The Biggest Loser.

Jeezus, Grandpa! What am I watching these things for?!

Well, despite all efforts to the contrary, I’ve got bubblegum tendencies. Deep down, there’s a kindergartener in here dreaming of happily ever after.

And artists – whether they paint with color, music or words – tend to wrestle with self-doubt. Just when I think I’ve got a handle on this screenwriting thing, some screechy-voiced bimbo mouths off to Simon Cowell about how sorry he’ll be when she wins a Grammy.

And, as a human living on this planet for a while, there are aspects of myself I’ve learned to hate.

See, the reality shows I’m attracted to are the ones starring me. It’s all about Universal Theme, really.

Maybe the success of reality T.V. isn’t voyeuristic… but solipsistic.

7 Comments:

Blogger aggiebrett said...

You'll go blind watching that crap.
.
.
.
concerned B

10:07 PM  
Blogger Scott the Reader said...

I looooooove reality shows. Because after a day of reading, reading, reading, plot, plot, plot, I need something that's not trying to tell (much) of a story.

American Idol, The Amazing Race, Survivor, Project Runway. Hell, even The Iron Chef. Love them.

2:16 AM  
Blogger Adam Renfro said...

trying to ponder a world with reality TV and solipsism

uuuuhhhhh

me pea brain kant handle it

12:05 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Everybody watches Idol. And everybody tries to sing when it goes to commercial.

You know you do.

12:26 PM  
Blogger aggiebrett said...

I've never seen even one second of American Idol. I'm not even sure I could tall you which network it's on.

And I don't feel even the tiniest bit deprived or shortchanged as a result.
.
.
.
B

9:31 PM  
Blogger MaryAn Batchellor said...

I MUST watch American Idol. I'm a singer. It's the law.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's no heresy. it's being a snob. know i am. but if we collectively step down the pedestal for a moment... what are these? 'scripted' by rearranging what these guys/gals say off the cuff? trying to make sense of the nonsense by making it a contest? how different is that from the 'case-to-solve/patient-to-cure' format?
i'm not lashing out at tv, please. i hope i'm not being facile, either. but, although not an avid watcher, i am interested. in a semiotic/meta-reading of the thing sort of way... I mean, they don't 'act' b/c a camera is there? they forget about it (as it's been claimed)?
a mental image of what is not being shown running in my mind as i see what i'm being shown... etcetera. better acting than in most student films...
mental origami indeed

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home