Tuesday, March 21, 2006

It’s… Repped?

Y’know that manager I’ve been talking to? Well, he called yesterday and began, “So, I read POOL BOY over the weekend. I want you to know, I still think you’re a really great writer.”

Uh-oh. This can’t end well…

He pointed out – accurately – that my story lacks conflict and we talked about that. He felt my structure was good (thanks Blake!) and he still digs my voice.

Then he surprised me by saying that after reading it, he’s even more excited to work with me.

Um… what?

He asked my permission to send both POOL BOY and EROTIC MUSINGS OF AN AMERICAN HOUSEWIFE out and then pitched me an idea they came up with in-house that they thought would work great with my voice. I sparked to the idea, we riffed, and suddenly I’m developing a project with a manager and a WGA signatory producer attached.

How did this happen? I’m not in L.A. I’m not 20. I didn’t go to film school.

But I wrote. And I got discouraged and I bitched and wished I could quit. And I killed my darlings and learned to love it. I wrote and rewrote and reinvented and reimagined and reincarnated until I could distinguish my good work from my bad. And finally, when even in deepest self-deprecation I had to admit the writing was pretty good, I knew it was time to put my work and myself out there.

It'll be fun to see what happens next. Isn’t Life just the coolest ride?

13 Comments:

Blogger Grubber said...

Congratulations! Hope it all goes well for you Julie!
cheers
Dave

11:30 PM  
Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Big congrats. You deserve it.

Does he want you to rewrite Pool Boy before sending it out?

2:13 AM  
Blogger Julie O'Hora said...

Thanks, guys!

Scott~ at present, no, he thought my time would be better-spent elsewhere-- for now, anyway.

7:09 AM  
Blogger aggiebrett said...

I'd post some sort of snarky backwards compliment, but that would be entirely too predictable.

So I'll just answer ted's call: " wooooo"
.
.
.
still one of the little people B

7:05 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

The beginning of great things for the sexiest grandma I know.

11:46 AM  
Blogger suzbays said...

Julie,

I'm sure this new relationship will lead you someplace. If nothing else, look on it as validation of your talent. Good job!

10:32 PM  
Blogger Ron Oda said...

congrats!!

i hate rewrites, but its gotta be done..

keep us posted...

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats!!

EROTIC MUSINGS will sell and be produced if you ask me.....

Cecil

4:37 PM  
Blogger MaryAn Batchellor said...

Awesome, Julie! Go, girl!

11:57 AM  
Blogger Konrad West said...

Yet another congrats! :)

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

Chris

1:25 AM  
Blogger Adam Renfro said...

wwwhoooooo hoooooo!

most cooool

11:59 PM  
Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

Congrats, you rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home