Thursday, April 05, 2007

P-Push it real good

Lots going on these days!

I finished my rewrite of THE MIDDLE AGES. Got some really constructive notes from my first-round readers, implemented a bunch and sent it to my way-cool manager, who will read it this weekend. Some of my writer-friends think it’s ready to show, so hopefully my manager will agree. I know it’s the best writing I’ve ever done.

Production offices for AMERICAN SUMMER, a/k/a POOL BOY, are established in New Orleans. Warren is already there and the crew list is filling up with a hundred or so people slated to make a movie I wrote.

They’ve pushed principal a week, to April 23rd – just needed a bit more time to get ready. The production coordinator told me this has been a very short prep, so she’s happy to have another week. She seems really cool and sweet and on top of things. I look forward to meeting her. Before she got on the phone, I chatted a while with an office PA, who asked good questions about my original script and bantered with the DP as he walked by and I could feel the camaraderie from here. I felt truly connected to the production for the first time.

‘Course, I’ve been somewhat connected to it, ‘cause I’m now getting emails with stripboards and day out of days – shooting schedule-related things I’ve never seen or heard of before but which excite and fascinate me. A few days ago, an email arrived with “blue” script pages, a “blue” stripboard” and "blue" day out of days. I guess, in order for them to really be blue, you have to print them on blue paper... (It occurs to me, I don't remember anything I once knew about the order of colored script pages. Just that one of them is "Goldenrod." Note to self: learn your colors.)

It’s rather nice to see my name listed as "Writer" on the ever-expanding crew list.

Oh, who am I kidding? It’s fucking awesome.

14 Comments:

Blogger aggiebrett said...

Pushed to the 23rd?

Don;t these people understand you haev celebratory drinks to buy people?

Dammit!
.
.
.
thirsty B

1:23 AM  
Blogger sharappa said...

i am the PA you talked to.
sharappa@gmail.com

4:03 AM  
Blogger Julie O'Hora said...

Hi John! Thanks for stopping by.

LOVE your photos -- you have a great eye.

See ya' soon...

10:40 AM  
Blogger annabel said...

"...the crew list is filling up with a hundred or so people slated to make a movie I wrote."

That is really awesome! I can't imagine how that must feel. Rock on, Julie! :)

11:07 AM  
Blogger C W Magee said...

You rock.

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! I was wondering about connecting -- it seems like it would be easy to feel dis-connected. I hope you keep updating us about this part of screenwriting -- I don't know squat.

Are you going to get to spend time on the set? And why New Orleans? Was that your original setting?

Pool Boy always conjured up the other LA in my mind.

7:26 AM  
Blogger Julie O'Hora said...

Thanks, guys!

Jeff-- I don't know squat, either but I'll keep posting about this stuff until I DO know squat. Then maybe I'll be too jaded to bother.*

The story takes place primarily in Beverly Hills. We're shooting in N'awlins because they're giving generous tax credits to lure films to the area. More movie for your buck. And, apparently, we've got locations that will pass for the other LA.

I've made travel arrangements to be on set the first two weeks of shooting. I'll play it by ear after that.

(*Not fucking likely -- I still get excited that I'm allowed to drive a car...)

11:03 AM  
Blogger IQCrash said...

Julie, I'm very excited for you.

When you become rich and famous, don't forget to still flirt with us little people. ;)

5:35 AM  
Blogger Julie O'Hora said...

Crash: Screenwriters don't get famous and I don't flirt.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Shawna said...

You are the most awesome person I know.

And I know a lot of people. So that's a compliment. Or ass-kissing. Your choice.

So happy for you (sincerely).

2:12 PM  
Blogger suzbays said...

:-)

12:24 AM  
Blogger A.Mills said...

I work with the Bethany that was cast for the movie. We've been reading your blog since January. She can't wait to leave for filming on the 23rd.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Julie O'Hora said...

Hi Luv~

Thanks for letting me know you're here. Are you in casting?

I hope Rachel's not reading the blog... I'll have to edit for lang-- uh, never mind. I forgot, she's probably read the script ;)

2:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Julie,

I'm actually Rachel's manager.

Rachel is very excited that you responded to me. She can't wait to meet you in New Orleans!

A

april@aprilmillsmanagement.com

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home